May 23, 2011

My Generation.


I saw these people, and had this surging desire to educate the uneducated, to give jobs to the poor, to speak for the voiceless. I felt that I would be doing injustice if I were to use my abilities and resources for myself. It just wasn't right. I want the aunts and uncles who sell fruits by the street to not have to worry whether they'll be able to make a good sale tomorrow. I want the children of these uncles and aunts to know that they have an equal opportunity to achieve their heart's desires in the future. I want UM to find its place on the world stage again. I want teachers to have pride in their work. I want Malaysia to be the place where people are proud to be a part of; a place where people will want to come home to. 

Hi, my name is Michelle. Forsake my generation, I shan't.  

(read more)

I've been meaning to write a piece on this heartbreaking story for as long as I could remember but this perpetual preparation for my upcoming exam definitely has consumed the entirety of my well being. But yeah this torturous yet deserved punishment is inflicted upon me mainly because I've been slacking for almost the entire fucking year and catching up a year worth of facts, well only those who possess similar lazy arse trait like mine would be able to understand. Gah.

Right. This brilliant, uplifting piece by Michelle Ng that I've read weeks ago dumbstruck me beyond words because honestly, this 'to go back to Malaysia or stay the fuck out of it' is one major dreadful dilemma that has been critically haunting  most of the overseas students especially the bright ones. Hence, the issue of brain drain exists for they can't deny the temptation of having a better future in some foreign lands. Not solely money-driven I must say, but the prospect of having the liberty to experience equal rights and opportunities, no discrimination, not having to be a goody two shoes or kissing the big boss's butt to climb the corporate ladder, nor they have to confine their voices lest they'd lose their heads; every word they utter would be heard, regardless their race, age, skin color, religion.

Can we blame them for having such thoughts? No. Because Malaysia is one sick country.

Nevertheless, like what Michelle have said, " I shall not forsake my generation. Even if I don't succeed in this generation, at least I can die knowing that I've paved the path for future generations to walk on, and hopefully, build on." I believe that most of us, Malaysians, don't really like what we're seeing right now.  Know that we must save our country from those hoity toity scum bags.

Thank you, Michelle for reminding us this. Hopefully soon enough, I'll be in the same battlefield as yours.

No comments: